In 1946 founder Richard Ernest began manufacturing the standard line of Single Taper chucks and collets designed by his father Fred Ernest. The company grew, developing a full line of internal and external gripping standard and custom built workholding products.
In 1965 Speedgrip Chuck moved to the then-new present facility and continued to grow in size and workholding product line development.
In 1973 Gary Renaud, (son-in-law to Mr. Ernest) acquired ownership of Speedgrip Chuck, furthering continuing the family owned and operated tradition.
In 1994 the Cameron Company, with a full line of hydraulic chucks and arbors, and Madison Face Driver companies were acquired further adding to the available workholding product lines.
In December 2015, the Stratford-Cambridge Group of Plymouth, MI purchased the Speedgrip companies, operating with the same management, at the same facility, and continuing on the well known and established workholding tradition.